Friday, October 24, 2008

Macbeth Murdered.

I went to see Melbourne Uni's Shakespeare Co.'s version of Macbeth tonight. My friend 'won' free tickets in some essay competition. My first thought when she told me this was worst prize ever. This isn't because I dislike theatre, it is that I already know the quality of it.

We started off with drinks at Markov Place. She got some crazy red girly spritzer thing and I kept to my Shofferhoffer Kristal. She had just come from work and I had come from...well, work and exercise.
Despite my crazy adrenaline, she coaxed me into ordering something with her. She ended up getting the wild mushroom and manchego bruschetta, and I ordered an oyster with a red wine vinegar and shallot dressing.

Go team oyster.

So, then, without the opportunity to get sloshed, we ran off to see Macbeth. The production was very immature. I assumed all the good actors had been exhausted with the recent runs of Zombie State and Botulism. Anyways, the only good actor in the show was Lady Macbeth who was played by Leeor Adar. She was actually able to deliver Shakespeare the way you were to read it, unlike her counterpart, Macbeth (Seamus Barker) who spoke as if he was William Shatner with tourret's if you turned up the volume and broke the knob. I don't understand how a company could possibly make all the characters of Macbeth, who were not Lady Macbeth annoying.
Hats off to you.

I understand now, why Lady Macbeth kills herself.

The thing that rounded it all off was "Love Will Tear Us Apart" playing during the curtain call.

Let's not get started on the three witches.

Alas, I have made it home on a Friday night, and it is before midnight. I somehow don't think an oyster is good as a dinner after only eating a piece of bread and a tomato today. Anyways, it's sultry...it's salad time.

Omnomnomnom
Serves 3

2 ribs of celery, diced
1/2 spanish onion, diced
1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 an avocado, diced
2 small cans of Serina chili tuna in oil, drained and flaked
1 can of canellini beans, rinsed
1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl 9up to the lemon)and season to taste. Serve by squeezing the juice of half a lemon over the top with a drizzle of oil and a piece of toast.

It's Friday, have another beer.

No comments: