Friday, October 17, 2008

Book of Longing

I have been debating this upstairs with a couple of boys for the last thirty minutes. I saw the Philip Glass and Leonard Cohen collaboration at the State Theatre of the Arts Centre for MIAF on the 15th, which was the opening and they saw it tonight. I felt like I was watching opera singers attempting a rock musical with a very hetero, whingy, womanizer's words which killed a wonderful composition, featuring stunning solos.

But, to put it lightly, it was shit. I looked around the theatre and noticed that the audience were mainly comprised of right-winged, celebrity-struck, oldies from the burbs who probably see art as a "I am going out for a special occasion" sort of thing, rather than being regular art goers (despite the fact that Kantor was one of the standing ovation givers).

It all seemed token and contrived. If you see me in person, I can do a full interpretation with singing and dancing to prove my point.
As one of my friends said "Philip Glass should have stopped composing ten years ago, and Cohen should never allow other people to read his works."

So, disappointingly, I went home and made dinner at half ten, and was too annoyed to eat it.
Seriously.
Thank god for my hungry, hungry housemates.

Like it never happened, I want to eat my sorrows
Apparently, serves 4

olive oil
1/2 spanish onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
5 slices of prosciutto, sliced in 1cm thickness
2 zucchinis, julienned
1 head of broccoli, florets cut into quarters and the stalk julienned
1 glass of red wine
balsamic vinegar
2 handfuls of walnuts, roughly chopped
100g romano, grated
salt
pepper

short pasta, cooked

Saute off the onion and garlic over a low heat and add the prosciutto, rendering the fat. When the onion and garlic are translucent, turn the heat on medium high and add the zucchini and broccoli. Add more oil if it looks dry and then the glass of wine. Add a generous amount of balsamic vinegar and allow to cook for five to ten minutes, when the zucchini is ready but not mushy, and the broccoli still has bite. If it looks like it is drying out, add some of the pasta water.
When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot. Pour over the zucchini mixture and stir through the nuts and cheese until they have all combined and melted together. Season to taste and think about how upsetting art can sometimes be.

No comments: