Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Love My First Day of the Week.

I have a beautiful friend who is so giving, that sometimes the world kind of takes that opportunity to shit on her. When people find out her name, they do this annoying dance where they ask if her parents were hippies, or if she changed it. Stupidly enough, these people also don't know anything about art and who she was named after, or the contribution that this person made to the Heide.

Yesterday was one of those days where beer and some cooking could fix the girl. I thought that she probably needed some real food after what she got shat on with, and the only thing she had at home was pita bread and vegemite.

That was tragedy in its purest form.

So, I cooked for this woman, my real wife (sorry Bjork) and fed her booze.

Oh, I love my first day of the week. (Yes, yesterday was Tuesday, but if you're smart enough, you'll work it out.)

After I saw this tart on Haalo's site, I decided it would be a good way to use up asparagus. But obviously, the idea of the tart was the only thing, and I may have bastardized the idea.

Asparagus Tart For My Favourite Tart

1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
2 slices of prosciutto, sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 leek, sliced, white part only
1 head of broccoli, stem sliced and florets quartered
1/3 barrel of La Luna cheese, diced
3 eggs
200mL cream
6 sheets of filo
butter
salt
pepper

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Find a rectangular baking dish and measure the asparagus to the width of it and trim the excess off. Slice the trimmed parts and set aside with the broccoli.
Blanch the asparagus and halve length ways.
Meanwhile, render the fat from the prosciutto and add the garlic and leek, followed by the asparagus stalks and the broccoli. Season and allow to soften.
Line the baking dish with the filo, brushing melted butter between the sheets. Take the eggs and cream, and whisk together, seasoning with salt and pepper.
When the mixture in the pan is cooked, place it over the filo and pour in the egg mixture. Then, take the spears of asparagus and line it over the top, alternating direction of the spear.
Dot with the La Luna cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes, or till it has set.

Feed it to your lady.

No comments: