Friday, November 28, 2008

It's raining, honey.

If you haven't worked out already, I recently inked myself with the phrase "It's raining, honey."

I love it and thought it was cute when people would text me with that line when it has been raining, but now, it's lost its flavour. It seems to be one of those days when it isn't actually dreary and the rain, as false as it may be sometimes, opens up a collective sense of nostalgia and the cliched word that starts with 'P'(and I am not referring to "potential," although it is a synonym).

To tell you the truth, I didn't go to work today because I ended up taking a sleeping tablet that was stronger than I thought, after shoving a few packets into one and not reading the dosage on the foil. It took till midday to get my motor-skills back, and maybe a few too many coffees, but it happened.



Remember when I bought spelt flour? Well, I was going to make my own, but the table which I usually roll out the pasta on went upstairs for the party and that would involve a whole lot of cleaning, disinfecting and bravery for me to knead any form of dough on that.
And yes, I did take a photo of the pasta on my record player.

Oh yeah, to be a responsible blogger: Spelt flour: high in protein, lower in gluten than regular flour, blah blah blah.

Ok?


Unfortunately, I feel as I have fallen into some trap cooking a pumpkin today as it is Thanksgiving or something in the Americatown. But, who cares.



Roasted Pumpkin and Silverbeet with Spelt linguine.

Serves 4, generously.

1/2 Jap pumpkin, skin on, sectioned into 4
chili flakes
sage
milk
100g taleggio cheese
6 slices of prosciutto, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 bunch of silverbeet, ribs diced and leaves sliced
100g walnuts, roasted and chopped
1/2 packet of spelt linguine



Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcuis. Season the pumpkin with salt, pepper, chili flakes and rub in oil. Tear sage leaves over the top and bake for 40-50 minutes, turning half way.
When it is ready, put the pumpkin, skin and all, into a blender with a dash of milk. Blend till you have a thick puree, kind of like a dip.
Season and chop up 50g of the taleggio and stir through till it is melted. Set aside.
Meanwhile, render the fat from the prosciutto and add the onion over a low heat. When it is translucent, add the silverbeet ribs and garlic and continue to cook on low. As this is happening, cook the pasta. If the onion and prosciutto look dry, add some pasta cooking water.
A minute from the pasta being ready, add the silverbeet leaves to the pot.
Add the pumpkin puree to the prosciutto pan and stir through to heat.
Drain the pasta and silverbeet and add the to sauce. Stir to combine.


Serve with a slice of taleggio over the top and sprinkle over the toasted walnuts.




Erm, I guess now, you're ready for beer time.

Oh yes, this meal is best made and eaten while listening to Elbow's Seldom Seen Kid in its entirety. Seriously.

No comments: