Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I did what?

Pancakes for dinner.

Not crepes, where it would possibly be acceptable and easy to make savoury...but pancakes.

If there is anything that anyone has learnt from knowing me or even reading this blog, it is that I am not too keen on sweets, desserts, or what is essentially a dessert for breakfast.
Even at dessert, I choose cheese. I AM the cheese.

So, why the want for something sweet...or even, a pancake?

My only conclusion is that I am doing that crazy female hormonal thing that happens once a month, which funnily enough coincides with the full moon (according to one of my friend's observations).

There was also the welcome addition of a ginger ice cream that was donated to me from the Slow Food Market, made by the Gundowring Finest Ice Cream people. Surprising chunks of ginger made me all warm and fuzzy inside, so I am going to have to hide the rest of the half litre in the back of the freezer (which is like playing a really cold, 3D game of Tetris).

They're stupidly fluffy, rich and remind me of New York. So, obviously, I couldn't even make it through one. Funnily enough, I remember after parties, I would usually make up 3 batches of this and give it to the leftovers on my couch so they would help me clean up.

Why didn't I think of that on Saturday?

Yeah, blame the weather.

Buttermilk Pancakes

makes 12
375g plain flour
3 tbs caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
750ml buttermilk
125ml milk
3 eggs
85g butter, melted

In a huge-ass bowl, combine and sift the dry ingredients together.
In a separate bowl, beat together the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk lightly with a fork, but don't overdo it. It may look like lumpy vomit.
Cook them in 1/2 cups and serve with whatever you want. In my case, ginger ice cream and maple syrup went on one quarter and ricotta, lemon and honey went on the other.

They keep well in foil, freeze well and can be warmed in the foil in the oven.

Then, go for a jog.

No comments: