Monday, November 24, 2008

In English, please.

I made quinoa. As I said, I needed to get back into it, and well, I did. Not only did I make the quinoa, but I also watched Twin Peaks with my wife while it rained.

I believe that would be called a little bit perfect.

And just to benefit people who are unsure of what this hippie food it, it's a grain. Well, technically, a leafy plant. But, it is gluten free, about 14-16 percent protein and tastes nutty. Personally, I love it, and I love the texture, but of course, like all foods, it is subjective. When I made this meal, my wife commented on how she would be afraid of growing muscle right after eating. I quickly corrected her and said that she didn't exercise other than bike-ride anyways. That, and she ended up having about 3 dinners in one sitting. And that isn't saying that she had three serves, I served her three meals on request.


Another story for another day.

So, this is what quinoa looks like. Well, ok, it is in a pot with some water getting ready to be cooked, but you get the idea.




Oh, and I almost forgot...it is pronounced "Keen-wah."




I would have given you an overabundance of photos, but I really couldn't be bothered uploading them today, to be honest. It's been a rough day, and not in Garfield "it's Monday" hard, but in the, "if-I-shaved-my-fingers-off-with-a-knife-it-wouldn't-have-made-a-difference" hard.

Warm Quinoa Salad
Serves 4
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
2 eggs
6 dutch carrots, cut in 2cm lengths
1/2 head of broccoli, florets sectioned and stem diced
1/2 punnet off cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and sectioned
1/2 block of firm tofu
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 bunch of silverbeet, washed, ribs diced and leaves sliced in 1 inch thicknesses
1 spanish onion, thinly diced
2 handfuls of walnuts
rice bran oil
extra virgin olive oil
Merideth marinated goat's feta, 2 cubes, crumbled
Hummus
Lemon

Put the quinoa in a pot and bring to the boil with 2 cups of water. Cook for 15 minutes or till the water has soaked in and the quinoa tastes cooked.
Set aside in a large bowl
Meanwhile, cook the eggs till they are hardboiled, peel and quarter lengthways.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and roast the carrot, broccoli, and tomatoes for 20 mintues in rice bran oil and season to taste.
While this is happening, dice the tofu and fry off in a hot pan till crunchy and browned and season to taste.
Now, roast the diced onion and asparagus with oil and seasonings.
While this is happening, saute off the silverbeet with the garlic and season to taste.
Roast the walnuts in a pan and crush.
Combine all the cooked ingredients and nuts in the bowl with the quinoa and mix. Crumble the feta throughout the quinoa.
Serve with a dollop of hummus and a wedge of lemon.




It may be hideous, but it was fucking awesome. Omnomnom.

No comments: