Monday, August 25, 2008

Do You ENGRISH Like I ENGRISH?

I have a group of people close to my heart who, when they were in Macau, were called "chee sien guai lou." The rough translation of that would be 'crazy white man,' (yes, my people are more racist...Lacist...than you think), but the direct translation would be crazy ghost man.
There is also an expression that my mother said to me the other day in attempts to be cool and hip. I asked her how someone who influenced my life in a huge way was. Her response (said in English) was, "He's now gone to sell salted duck eggs."
This actually means that he's dead.
A little like, "they've kicked the bucket."
Also, if you call someone a dickhead in Cantonese, you're really just calling them rolled rice noodles.
Yeah, that changed my view on that particular breakfast item.
If you're telling someone to go to hell (well, that is what the SBS movie translation is), you're really telling them to fall over in the street.
And won tons...yeah, that actually means to swallow a cloud.
And what really annoys me, is that Yum Cha, really means to drink tea. The idea is that the tea is a digestive between all the gossiping and dim sum that you're eating, hence the small portions.

And on the topic of Yum Cha, why are lazy susans called lazy susans? Who said that Susan was lazy, and in particular, why is Susan so important to have a round board named after her habits?

But...I digress.

Today, I looked in the fridge and realised that I had a whole lot of eggs and my tomatoes on the counter were on their last legs. I am a little sick of baked eggs and it is not breakfast time, although it is the first thing I have eaten today. We can call it Linner.
I was on the phone to someone who isn't Cantonese while making this, and I couldn't think of how to describe this dish. Basically, it is my comfort food. It is cheap, tasty and reminds me of my dad.
They're also directly translated to be Stupid Eggs.

Stupid Eggs

4 eggs
1 onion, halved and thinly slices
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped
100ml passata
1/2 cup water
seasoning
sugar
oyster sauce
soy sauce
3 spring onions, sliced
corn flour

Fry the eggs of in a pan and set them aside. Saute the onions and garlic and when transluscent, turn the heat on high and add the tomatoes, passata and water. Bring to a boil and cook till the tomatoes break down and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a teaspoon or so of sugar, depending on the acidity of the tomatoes, and then add a tablespoon of oyster sauce and a couple of dashes of soy sauce. Allow to cook down a bit and return the eggs to the pan with the tomato mixture. Check the seasoning again and readjust. Throw in the spring onions. Add a teaspoon of corn flour to water and stir till dissolved, throw in to the pan to thicken and turn off the heat. Serve over steamed rice as part of a dinner.

Hmm, this makes me forget that Chinese dinners involve around 2-5 different dishes on the table that are shared between family or guests. Erm...improv that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Explanation seems disappointingly banal: http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0603/dictionary_men061703.asp

DaVa said...

hey man with the van, you should stop blogging, you sound like a fuckwit and fattymcbeanpole rocks! go away or i'll pop your tires!!