Monday, March 17, 2008

That Bloody Maria

The downstairs bar of Seamstress has opened, but not officially. It will be called Sweatshop, as that is was the function of the space in a past life. The staff and bar manager ply me with liquor on Friday night, coaxing me with more and more shots and a sample of their new cocktails.

Apparently their alcoholic spider is a hit, but it is not for me. $14

I try a few of their punches, and they're good if you're looking for something sweet. $45 a flask

The Dictators Fix is chosen through a flip of a coin, also too sweet for my liking, but is very alcaholic. $16

What really got me is their Bloody Maria, $16, which is their version of a Bloody Mary, made with a tequila and their own tomato juice. A lot lighter than the average. Then, the traditional horseradish and wochester sauce is substituted with their nam jim, which gives it that extra kick. It is also pleasantly garlicy and I stick on these for most of the night, till the staff and I cab it to Black Pearl before we finish up in a pure morning.

Without having to say it, I have my fill of Hendricks and tonic $11.

All I can do, is say, check it out before the opening. The atmosphere is a hell of a lot nicer.

Sweatshop; basement 113 Lonsdale St, Melbourne, 3000.

No comments: